Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thursday night lovedies

Growing up I slept with a soft well lived flat cloth diaper. It was and is my Miney, or in other words, my security blanket. I slept with Miney from the time I was tiiiiinnnny until I married my husband at 30 years old. I still have some pieces of Miney in my closet in my bedroom now. As I'm sure you can imagine Miney grew worn through the years and oh so soft. She has had many baths and was loved enough to leave no doubt in any ones mind that she was real, at least as real as the Velveteen rabbit ever thought about being.

Both my daughters have already claimed lovedies of their own and this evenings events made me think back to Miney and how much she means to me.

My husband had to work late this evening, he was running light and sound for a chorus concert so it was just the girls and me. Ella Rose had a soccer game and did really well at it. She assisted in the scoring of a goal tonight! But after soccer tonight we sat down to a meal of leftover spaghetti. It was good, but the girls were tired from a busy day and so we quickly headed to bathing after supper was over. After baths, the girls pick out books to read, gathered their lovedies and we snuggled in my husband's recliner. We read stories and then they both got to watch one episode of their favorite shows before heading for bed.

Evie Alice didn't even make it through her turn tonight before she was asleep cuddling Dora the Explorer close to her little body. Ella Rose made it through both shows but was wiggling like crazy to stay awake and scooped up Abby her stuffed dog (who also has become real some time ago) to go to bed.

It didn't take either girl long to fall back asleep and I enjoyed snuggling and listening to prayers as they did. Then, once they were asleep I straightened the house and settled to watch my show for the evening when all of a sudden I heard Ella Rose yelling, "Mommy, Mommy!" so I headed back to check on the girls. When I got there and inquired what was wrong they were both awake. Ella told me she'd just needed me. I started to cuddle her close only to discover why she'd needed me. She'd had an accident.

Thankfully my husband came home around thus time and could comfort the girls while I changed the sheets. Both girls clung tightly to their lovedies. But once I'd finished passed by where they were waiting so that I could settle down into the bed for the evening we realized Evie Alice's Dora was missing. Josh said she had dropped it in the kitchen, so Ella volunteered to help us look. It wasn't there though and for a split second we worried that Daisy dog had gotten and chewed up Dora.

My mind flashed back to the plane ride where Miney had gotten lost in the missing luggage and I knew exactly what Evie Alice was feeling as years streamed down her little face. But just as Miney had returned those many years ago so did Dora. Josh suddenly realized he had pick up and put Dora on the bed, and there she was! And so the night has ended well, everyone secure with their lovedies in their arms and their dreams carrying them away to another time and place.

And even as I type this I know that I have doubles of the girls lovedies carefully tucked under my bed in case anything should happen to them, but then again I also know, even a double can't replace a lovedie because it's only in the love that it becomes real.

Now I think I'll try to gather together this small real shreds of Miney in a way that I've not in oh so many years, and wish you all a good night as I too drift off to dreamland with my lovedie in my arms.

Boop doop de doop!

G'night

No comments: