Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Debating, a trip down memory lane




I love politics! Honestly, I can hardly remember a time that I didn't like it.If I had to guess I'd say, maybe, I wasn't all that interested in politics before Middle school. And believe it or not I truly hate to watch the news. It's horribly, mind numbingly depressing stuff!!!! I could never understand how my Daddy could sit every evening and watch the news. Yuck!! Now, the newspaper is a whole different entity. I can pick and choose which stories I want to read and still avoid the drastically depressing or just over all uninteresting ones.

But let me back up... And recall when I became interested in political debates. I was in the eighth grade. My dearest friend had decided he was going to compete in debate in high school and said the coach wanted us to compete together, as partners. The catch was we had to skip out on taking Physical Science our Freshman year and take Physics our Senior year. I was immediately on board. My parents: not so much.My Momma was especially opposed to the idea because I'm horrible at math and she was a Science teacher of the first degree...so she made me take Physical Science from her all summer in preparation to carry out this plan. And thus, the fire for politics and debate was ignited.

 Only, plans changed. My parents made me change schools my Freshman year. I never got to debate with my good friend (the one who introduced me to this way of thinking). But we did get to debate against each other, many times and always seemed fairly evenly matched. Sometimes he won, others I did. Life moved on. My passion for debate didn't end.  I competed successfully in college. Got a scholarship for it in fact, and we traveled a lot. After college, I took a few years away from the debate world, but soon became ensnared again (ironically at the same school where my journey into this mysterious politically filled fun first began) but rather than debating myself,  I was asked to coach. After prayerful consideration, I agreed. And so I coached debate at three different schools

Then I had children and my priorities changed. I didn't think they were going to. I joked with my husband that I'd have our first child in a debate round, I was so in love with the activity, but after my daughter was born, debate lost its luster.

So imagine my surprise, as I sat down tonight to watch the presidential debate, when I found myself transported back into that way of thinking. My mind whirled with wonder about what I'd hear, my ears tuned themselves making ready to absorb the carefully thought out and prepared words and my hand itches to take notes as they once had to ensure the proper winner of the debate was adequately rewarded.

I enjoyed listening tonight to a passionate debate from both sides. I longed to hear more in some areas and less in others. I became frustrated as debaters veered off topic, went over their time limits or chose to discuss issues that were not relevant.

The fire and passion for politics burned strongly yet again tonight within me. I was appalled by comments that some people made over the debate not because their opinions differed from mine for I've favored both candidates who were debating at different times (over the years) but because of the nastiness and disrespect that their comments showed both to the candidates and all involved.
Because no matter who won the debate the outcome will be as it should when all votes are cast. Although I differ with each man on some issues I have faith that the debates and the ways of our political system will work their magic...and the right way will be known by those who vote.

And as I pondered over the debate my mind wandered to that day long ago.... When my friend asked me to join him in debate. How thankful I am to him and to that coach... That day changed the path of my life in ways they may never know...and all of this along with memories of my debaters, and friends I'd made while debating or coaching made this night mean even more.


Boop doop de doop!

G'night

No comments: