Monday, October 1, 2012

NaBloWriMo Intro

Hi all,

I'm Betty! I'm a Stay at Home Mom to two adorable little girls. Actually being a stay at home mom is relatively new for me and I'm still earning my full-time Mom wings. Before deciding to stay home with my girls full time, I was a high school English teacher/Debate coach for nine years. But this last May I decided to make my family my full time priority and so far I'm loving almost every minute. My life certainly has changed a lot during this last few months, but I feel more centered than ever...but that's another story for another day.

So let me share ten things with you that you may not know about me.

One...I currently have two dogs Rachel (my baby) and Daisy (our yellow lab), a cat Abby (also my true love), and three fish Oscar, Elmo and Ah. Rachel was dumped as a puppy and it was true love at first sight! Abby was born under my bed when I lived in Rome, GA...I'd adopted her mother from the pound and couldn't make myself part with any one of the babies. She's the only one still with us 11 years later, but very vocal (she wakes me talking to me each morning) and a special baby too. Daisy we gained through Ella Rose's godmother someone had dumped her out at their house and she gets along with everyone, but is TROUBLE and ACTIVE in capital letters!! Our fish actually belong to both the girls and me. We each named one. Ella Rose named Elmo after Sesame Street. I have no idea what Ah is named after but Evie Alice chose that name and Oscar is an algae eater...he's mine....so he's also a Sesame Street special. However, that's not where our pet conglomeration end I've recently volunteered to take in my dead great Aunt's two cats and to foster my good friend's two dogs... we truly have a full house. And yes, you could accurately say I'm a major animal lover  or maybe should say that I'd have enjoyed living on Noah's ark. Either one is true!!! :)

Two,  I have strong desire to learn to sew! I don't mean "learn to sew" exactly, but more learn to sew on a machine. I'm pretty decent by hand, I can sew on buttons, make pillow cases etc... but really, really want to make some little dresses for my girls, toys, and maybe even Christmas presents for friends.

Three, I love crafts, scrap booking, baking, writing poetry or children's stories... really anything that allows my creative spark to bloom. Just today, the girls and I discovered that tomorrow is National Cookie day! So we are eagerly planning our cookie baking! Now, I've just got to figure out what flavors! Suggestions are welcome. I'm really excited about this.

Four, I find it fascinating to celebrate little known holidays such as talk like a pirate day. In fact, this year, the girls and I enjoyed speak like a pirate day so much that we've continued it. Argh! I be pirate Captain Mommy! :)  And tonight my silverware was plundered (or rather all my spoons) and to be treasure for my own little pirates. We also are going to celebrate Cheese day and  Candy corn day this month too. I can hardly wait!

Five, I've begun jogging as I work my way through couch to 10k in ten weeks and have been contemplating training for a triathlon. I actually trained for one 9 years ago and the day that I was supposed to be competing my nephew was born, so I didn't get to compete but was in a better place....visiting with my newborn nephew Gabe. So far I've taken up running again which I've always hated, but I'm not minding now that I have the time and focus to do so. Next up I'll pick up swimming again and then maybe in December throw in the biking.  It's interested jogging with two little ones in tow though, their Daddy works long hours SO...I'm often pulling a wagon (yes, a little red wagon) behind me as a run or pushing a stroller (no, it's not a jogging one, but serves the same purpose) as I go.

Six, even though I taught public school for nine years I'm not sure I want to put my children into it. So I'm super excited that there may be a private Methodist kindergarten (not pre-k but actual kindergarten) in our town. I just found out about this last week. I'm really relieved to know I don't have to hand my children over to potential public schooling until first grade then...but am hoping I never do.

Seven, as I mentioned I've taught high school for nine years, but I'm contemplating getting certified in pre-k through 6th grade so that I will have certification for all 14 years of schooling. Then I'm thinking once both my little ones are in school full time (1st grade which would be four to five years from now) I'll go back to teaching but do so in the lower grades for a while.

Eight, I've been experimenting with different flavors of coffee creamers lately. I always thought of these as a such a luxury and not something I would ever be able to play with or afford as a stay at home Mom, but once I discovered they are relatively inexpensive I've been sampling many of them. I do believe the caramel macchiato or the peppermint are my favorites.

Nine, I have a passion for peppermints. When I was pregnant with my eldest daughter my husband bought the bulk sized bags of peppermints for me to eat to help with my heartburn. I find that even today I could eat massive amounts of them if I tried. Peppermint is just a flavor that appeals to me more than most maybe even more than chocolate which is saying a LOT!!!

Ten, I looooove storms!! This is a very strange thing to love especially since every time it rains hard for a substantial period of time I have to worry about my house flooding. We live in a flood plain by a creek that rapidly overruns its banks when the rain is too intense, but I find myself thinking back to fond memories of childhood when I hear a loud crack of thunder. My momma used to take us out on the front porch and let us watch the thunder and lightening while sitting on the steps. And I LOVE mud puddles. Both my girls go and play in them and so do I! Yes, we all put on our galoshes and stomp through puddles after the storm are over.

Eleven, since I've never been one to truly conform. I'm adding one more!! And I'll explain why this blog is called Boop's Babbles. My paternal grandmother and my Momma both often called me Boop growing up alluding to Betty Boop. As a result I've always had an affinity for Betty Boop...so this is where she and I babble. I hope you enjoy listening along as we do....

Boop Boop De Doop!

G'Night!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love storms too especially since moving to Tucson. I love the nickname and why your blog has it's name, very nice.
It's nice to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you more.

Betty Briones said...

Thank you, Rae!! I can only imagine how nice the storms must be in Tucson since it's so flat out there...I bet they are really nice to watch. I look forward to getting to know you more too...and it's nice to meet you as well.