Saturday, April 5, 2008

Spring Break day 5!


Friday, was actually one of my more exciting spring break days! Not only did I manage to accomplish most of my goals for the day, but I had fun to boot.

The day actually started off more slowly than most. When I awakened Friday morning, my dear husband was already gone. However, I was sleeping so deeply that I missed his departure.

After discovering that I'd been sleeping more soundly than anticipated, Rachel and I decided that it was time to have eggs for breakfast and Abby opted to begin her daily explorations outside.

As we ate, Rachel and I watched more of the Gilmore girls and had a fabulous time doing so. After breakfast we decided that it was high time to begin planning the April supper menu. I usually do this most months, albeit often before the month begins. However, this time has been more difficult than most. Why? Well, since I live so far in the south the weather has already begun to heat up immensely and I for one always have a hard time finding the motivation to truly cook, on hot spring or summer nights.

Nonetheless after poring over ever cookbook in the house and vigorously searching the Internet, I did finally fill our monthly supper calendar.

Once this chore was completed; however, it was time to fill out the grocery list for the first half of the month. As you all know I did a good bit of my grocery shopping at Sam's, but there were a few things lacking.

And as I day dreamed of a summer full of little grocery shopping I re-inquired with my husband about renting a tiller. Thankfully, Josh remembered a small business here in town that does still rent tillers on Saturdays. So I gave them a buzz and attempted to rent one for Saturday. Unfortunately, it was already reserved for this Saturday, so I went ahead and put in a reservation for this next one!
I can hardly wait to plant our summer garden! Woo hooo!! I know it's going to be larger than last years. We got a lot out of our little garden last year, but also learned a tremendous amount about plant care, etc. I am looking forward to seeing what this year's garden will bring.

But before heading out to Walmart for the ice monthly shopping expedition, I decided to add gardening seeds and small plants to our list for the month. And Rachel and I decided it was time for ice cream. So off to Dairy Queen we went. We had an absolutely wonderful outing. Rachel got her usual of a small cup of vanilla ice cream and I got a Moo Latte Mocha. Yum!

After returning Rachel home, I headed off to buy even more groceries. Amazingly, this chore was completed in no time. And once I returned home Rachel aided me in putting up all of the new additions to the household.

So many chores down and taxes left to do. I'd completed my dear husband's and my taxes over a month ago, but was having issues printing them out. I actually even thought that I was going to have to redo them by hand. I began trying to do so. Whew! I am no tax whiz! And as the frustration mounted, I was ever so relieved to discover that there was a way to print the work I'd already done on taxes.

So I printed those out and debated cleaning out my office, but opted to put that off until the weekend. After all, there's still plenty of time for that. :)

The rest of the afternoon was nice and relaxing! Then about 5pm my wonderful husband called and asked me to meet him and go to the Daryle Singletary Concert. His business was the one doing the light and sound for it.

All I can say is wow! I had the most amazing time last night. My husband was in charge of lights. The concert was actually a benefit concert so the setting was quite intimate.

Honestly, as I was driving to the concert, I was looking forward to seeing my husband work. I knew I knew some of Daryle's songs...but didn't think I would know many. So what I was looking forward to most was simply watching my husband work and spending the time with him. And I definitely did enjoy that, but I also really enjoyed the concert.

It turned out that I knew a few more songs by Daryle than I'd thought I did. The band that opened for him the Lee Mullins Band was amazing! I really, really enjoyed them. The girls clogging before that were also fun to watch. I SO wish that I was able to do things like that right now. I really enjoyed the time that I did clog.

But probably one of the most touching moments of the night was watching Daryle talk to his family. His brother and cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc....were at the concert. In fact, he sang several songs with his cousins and brother. What a memory, right? And it really gave all of us a closer look at the personal side of one of these Country music "stars."

Not only was it incredibly moving listening to him talk to his family and relate to the child for whom the concert was given, but it was so interesting to see what a truly good person this man is.

Obviously, I had a blast. Granted we didn't get home until an ungodly hour from the concert because my husband and his co-workers had to break down all the equipment and transport it all back to their warehouse, but I wouldn't have taken love or money to have missed it.

Then, to make a wonderful night even better, when we got back into cell phone range, I got a voice mail from my mother in law, offering to buy a new washing machine for us. Our washer decided to break down last weekend, which appeared to be just another one of our long line of complications. However, it may actually end up not being that bad.

So assuming that we aren't bombarded by washing machines interviewing for the new position here at our home, tune in tomorrow for a new edition of Spring Break 08!

No comments: