Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The night with no pain medicine! Argh!


I believe that I left off by telling you all about our wonderful garden's prospects and offering to have tea with you. The offer for tea sincerely stands. I'm so excited that the White Rose is offering high tea that I am literally setting up Saturday tea times as quickly as I can.

But back to the garden, well...we finished about half of the planting on Sunday and had to postpone the rest of the planting until the ants had relocated, which they did Sunday afternoon after prompting from my husband. So yesterday, after school and a faculty meeting I hit up Walmart for just a "few" more plants. ha ha! Needless to say I left with a tray full. So now we've added cilantro, chamomile, onion chives, mint, more squash and watermelon plants! I also finally got the radishes and Brussels sprouts in the ground. But we do have one little section that is sorely lacking for plants and I'm serious considering planting beans there...but we'll see.


Nonetheless, here is how the garden is progressing. This picture was taken Sunday afternoon, so you'll have to tune in next time to see the updated version after the new herbs, watermelon and squash joined the garden family.

Of course as I was gardening on my hands and knees, my mother-in-law stopped by and reminded me that I really shouldn't be doing things like that with my back in the shape it's in. But as I told her, they needed to get in the ground and I was the only one here to do it right then. So onward the planting progressed.

After fully filling the garden (or coming close to doing so) with the plants I'd procured I headed inside to work on supper and to brainstorm. See, after school yesterday I stopped by the pharmacy to pick up my new dose of pain medicine only to discover no one had called in an order for me! YIKES!

So I had several emotional breakdowns worrying about the impeding pain (which did come but not really fully until this morning) and I began to try to figure out how to ration out the remaining medicine that I still possessed until this morning. I know that sounds bad, but when a back is in the kind of shape mine is in right now, pain medicine and muscle relaxers along with perseverance are truly all that keeps a person going.

Persistence won out, and I decided there had to be another way to get my need for a prescription filled last night. I called the hospital. No luck! I tried the Doctor's office that was supposed to have placed the order. They were closed. So I went to a walk-in clinic. And truly they did prescribe some pain medicine, but just not what I needed to kill the pain that I was facing right then (or going to face this morning).

So with all previous options attempted and defeated, I decided rationing was the best way to function and so I headed to bed. I didn't take another pain pill all evening (except for the water downed kind from the walk in clinic) and I promptly placed myself on the couch, where I slept all evening.
Then this morning, when I awakened I knew...pain had arrived. Therefore I called the school and let them know I'd be late and as I slowly prepared to head to work, I began running over my list of ways to approach this situation. In the end, I decided going to the doctor's office that should have prescribed the medicine yesterday was the best bet, so I went.

Thankfully, they were nice at the doctor's office, but more thankfully my "saved" pain pill allowed me to get of the house, drive to the doctor and explain the situation I was in. They assured me that I would have new medicine today and sure enough by lunchtime I did. Whew!

What a relief. And you know, I hate relying upon anything like I have to rely upon my muscle relaxants (to stop muscle spasms) or pain pills (to stop out of this world agony)...but I'm thankful that they exist.

And I also know that my need for the medicine is truly pain related. So I'm looking forward to the day that my back gets fixed and my worst nightmare can become something other than facing an almost 24 hour period without medical relief.

On a much brighter note; however, I'm loving the weather and all of the activities this time of year. I'm hopeful that my dear husband and I are going to a concert this coming weekend. I'm certainly having high tea on Saturday. There's a theater production occurring at the Arts Center on Thursday evening that I may twist my husband's arm into attending with me. Picnic's are popping up throughout the community. There's one planned at the Arts Center and another schedule for Mother's Day by some people from church.

And finally, for the first time in my life, I find myself really beginning to connect to nature (gardening where my hands get dirty) without cringing and running to wash my hands. I keep thinking about a gorgeous rose bush that Walmart has, and I'm truly pondering rescuing it this evening.

Now, sitting in the quiet on my home on this lovely evening, I find myself daydreaming of lazy future memories with fireflies flickering...the stream beside us making gurgling and rushing sounds, and the stars shining brightly upon the most fabulous time of year.

So that leaves me wondering...what kind of thoughts does this time of year bring out in you, and what plans are you daydreaming about?

No comments: