Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hospital homebound!



Yesterday began a new portion of my life. In fact, when I awakened yesterday morning I discovered that I wasn't able to get out of bed. Why wasn't I able to get out of bed? Well, because I was having horrible muscle spasms. Even my husband tried to help, but it was to no avail. So for the first time in all of teaching career, I called in sick the day of my absence. And my husband called in to his work as well. After all, if I couldn't get out of bed I obviously couldn't be left alone.

Thankfully, though, with my husband's help I managed to get into see my spinal doctor and progress has begun to be made toward having my back surgery. Apparently, the latest date for my surgery at this time will be May 5th,, but my doctor has a friend who is a neurosurgeon that may be doing the surgery before that. I'll know something more certain by tomorrow morning.

The oddest part about all of this is that just a few weeks ago I was joking with some of co-workers that I wouldn't mind being "hospital home bound" and now I am.

As we saw and talked to the doctor yesterday, he told me no more work for at least a week. Secretly I'm hoping that I can talk my husband into letting me go back to school this next Monday so that I can get things in order for my up coming absence that will follow the surgery as well as get things more in line for the one I'm currently experiencing. But we'll see. Perhaps even if he won't let me go to school while the children are there he'll let me go after school and get things straight then.

In the meantime though, I'm managing to find plenty of things to keep myself occupied. My mother-in-law has already called to check on me today as has my Momma. A good friend is bringing lunch to me today. I've found a few books to read and I've got papers to grade and forms to fill out...so I should be able to keep myself fairly busy. I worry about going stir crazy as this continues...especially after the surgery when things will be difficult the first couple of weeks, but so far so good.

So in the meantime if any of you have creative ideas to keep me from going insane while I'm stuck here at home, I'm all ears. Oh and before I forget, I'm still hopeful that my dear husband will let us go to "A wee bit of our town" on Friday night. Maybe if things go well, between now and then and I stay on the couch or in bed most of the next few days I suspect he'll say hope so.
I'll keep you posted! And in the meantime...please any activity ideas to keep me from going stir crazy are more than welcome.

No comments: