Sunday, October 11, 2009

The power in this day


As I sit here writing this my husband is watching a show that is about the battle of good vs evil in people's lives. It's a tv series that I frequently enjoy myself. Yet, often I find deeper meaning in the series when I stop to give it a little thought.

I guess the reason that I enjoy the series so much is because good always triumphs (just like it does in children's stories). Yet in real life, I know good doesn't always win; however, today I think it just might.

Early this morning I received a phone call from my Momma. She didn't call with bad news, no quite the opposite. She called to tell me that Father Damien a priest who worked with lepers while he lived, is being canonized today. My great Aunt had called to share this news with Momma and to tell her that today is a day that miracles occur. Some might say miracles happen every day, but I'd like to think the more difficult ones happen today. See my great-aunt shared a story with my momma about an event in our family's history that occured on the day of the canonization of a saint. The background to the story, I'd never heard before (even though it's true) and the outcome was even more startling. Because it resulted in a reality-that is the only reality I've ever known.

So today, I prayed for miracles. If it's God's will, I hope and pray they will occur. Today I thought about the evil in this life, and how I understand so much more about the simple prayer that I learned as a child. The one that asks God to protect me from evil spirits, beings and all evil in whatever form it takes both day and night, but particularly the night. That prayer has kept me safe for many years. I hope and pray that as my daughter grows it will do the same for her. I know I'll be praying it for her and plan to teach it to her so she can memorize it and use it as she needs during her life.

But today is about more than just being safe. It's a day of miracles. Father Damien is to become a saint. And all day long, I've felt the power of goodness in this day. Yes, I do believe miracles occur and perhaps today another one or more will.

No comments: