Saturday, October 3, 2009

Long Journey and nice people along the way


I hate it that I didn't manage to post last night, but it simply wasn't possible. Ella and I made the long journey to my parent's house for the weekend. After school we packed up our belongings (with my husband's help both packing and entertaining Ella) and we headed on our way. Ella was wonderful! She slept and played in her carseat and didn't really have any meltdowns. I really can't complain!

We've come up to visit with everyone for a variety of reasons. One of my childhood friend's Mom passed away. So we needed to go to the funeral. Yes, Ella went with me to the funeral and did just fine! She's such a good girl! And we want to go apple picking! Also we like visiting with family (and fall break is a great time to do that). Finally, my b-day is this week and even though it's not something that has been taking up much of my time thinking about it. I knew that my niece and nephew would enjoy celebrating it with them present. SO!!!! Here we are.

We got into Calhoun about 11:20ish....and visited before heading off to bed. But on the way up here (and the main reason we arrived so late) we discovered that FOUR lanes of the interstate were closed. Ella was snoozing away until the traffic stopped. Then she began to make little cries of consternation. So, as soon as we were able to we found a safe exit and took refuge in a Publix parking lot.

I'm not sure how we managed to find this Publix. I wasn't looking for it, didn't know it was there. But Publix is my all-time-favorite grocery store. And since Ella was getting a bit hungry. My milkers were getting a bit heavy (and full)... I'd forgotten my power cord for the pump...and several other things had been left at home. I decided it was time for a pit stop.
What a sight I'm sure we were. I was exhausted since I'd been up extra late
the night before, and now had been driving for hours without stopping for supper. I didn't want to stop and wake up my child. So we'd continued. Ella had just finished nursing in the parking lot and I had some how convinced myself that this store was about to close (even though I later discovered it wasn't) so we were rapidly rushing through Publix.

And when we got to the check out line, we were the only people checking out. Go figure! Not too many people grocery shop after 10pm on a Friday. And one of the ladies (a manager I think) began to play peek-a-boo with Ella Rose. The cashier and manager begin inquiring what we are doing and why Ella is out so late. I explained about our trip...and the checking out continues. But the really interesting and cool part of the story happens when she handed me the receipt. She said to me..."See this number at the top of the receipt?"

I told her that I did. Then she asked me to call and let her know that Ella and I had gotten where were going safely when we got to Calhoun. But she went on to tell me that she'd not be able to sleep if I didn't call. Wow! Who would have thought that in Atlanta, GA you'd meet someone who cares about people that much!



Obviously I called her when we got here, and yes, she was thrilled that we were safe and she could sleep that night. So it just goes to show, all of us, nice people can be found anywhere and any time, yes sometimes even in the most unlikely places such as a grocery store, late at night.

Betty

No comments: