Monday, February 18, 2008

Mardi Gras (a bit late)


I am so sorry that I've not blogged like I have wanted to lately. I have so much to tell all of you, as is obvious by my three new posts tonight, but nonetheless...it's nice to have the time to sit down and share.

A few Tuesdays ago, on February 5th (Mardi gras) began one of my favorite seasons of the liturgical year or church year, namely Lent. I'm not sure when I began to look forward to this particular portion of the year.


Now don't get me wrong. I don't simply look forward to Mardi gras, a.k.a. Fat Tuesday, or Shrove Tuesday. Yes, I do enjoy that particular day. I love the creativity and the freedom that Mardi gras brings. I savor creating new and different pancakes, such as blueberry, or chocolate chip. And it's the one time of the year that I actually find myself longing for pancakes, at night. Any other day of the year, I don't particularly find breakfast food terribly appealing except at breakfast time.

But I think my savoring of this particular season does begin with Mardi gras (so just before Lent begins. I think of it as a day of preparation for a season of preparation. :) Obviously Mardi gras is followed my Ash Wednesday, the day that we are all reminded from whence we came and to where we shall return. And as odd as it sounds, I find that not so subtle reminder of our mortality (through prayers, scripture and ash traced crosses upon countless foreheads) ever refreshing of the circle of life. God created us from simple dust, and when we die we shall return to it. And before you begin to suspect, that it's simply Ash Wednesday that appeals to me about Lent. Please let me state clearly that it's not! I do enjoy Ash Wednesday, but it's only a small piece of the puzzle. To state it more clearly, borrowing and paraphrasing words from Dr. Seuss it's the whole Lenten season that appeals to me.

I do know that many people believe this season is dark drudgery, but it's not for me. I think of it as internal spring cleaning. I enjoy the reflective nature of Lent. I find it liberating to search the recesses of my soul and to loosen any bonds of sin that I've shoved into a corner and tried to ignore. This is the time of year that all of that gets re-examined and the less desirable parts are discarded. It's also when I find myself pondering our obligation to hold no grudge against anyone, and all those that I hold I try my best to release. Finally, in this introspective time, I find myself embracing new habits in an effort to walk more closely to God. Sometimes this occurs through self-denial, others years it occurs through a daily discipline of taking on something more. But during no time of year do I feel more closely renewed and connected to Christ than I do from Mardi gras through the 50 days of Easter.

As I deny myself a luxury or take on a new discipline I annually discover that not only do I grow exponentially as a person, but that my faith does as well. And it is in this spirit of faith that I find my spirit growing more excited each year as we approach the anniversary of the miraculous occurrence, our Savior's resurrection.
So now, during these 40 days of soulful reflection I hope that those around me and I will continue to meditate on the miracle in our lives. And in so doing, I pray we will continue to recognize that this should not be season of sorrow. It is one of denial, it is one of prayer and discipline, but it is a season of miracles too. For it is during this transformational season that Jesus transcends space and time, through this crucifixion, resurrection and glorious appearing. And it is also during this time that our eyes continue to be opened to the miracles occurring every moment within our souls and throughout the world around us.

If it were not for this season, I wonder, could the miracle appearing inside and around us receive the attention they deserve. Would we even attempt to continue to deny ourselves to draw closer to God? My thought is that we'd continue to be caught up in the hustle and bustle of life overlooking the small, quiet miracles taking place all around us.

So thank God today and every day for this purportedly harsh and dark season of spiritual reflection and cleaning. Thank God for Lent!

1 comment:

Ally said...

I really enjoyed this post. I love the idea of constantly being renewed (throughout the year--and throughout the day and even the hour at times) and transformed by Christ. You're right--there are so many miracles around us; we're so blind to so much of His work and beauty. I'm glad you're taking this time to celebrate it more fully.