Sunday, February 24, 2008

Journey to Macon

A few days ago I noticed in the Macon Telegraph that one of my favorite events was coming up, the Friends of the Library book sale! Oh joy of joys! Going to this sale is like absolute paradise to me. There are two large buildings completely filled with books. Boxes are provided so that the friendly shoppers can carry around the bargains they've found. Best of all, not only are books divided by subject area, but the prices are more than reasonable. There are very few books found there that cost more than five dollars. In fact, most of the prices range from fifty cents to five dollars.

So I mentioned this exciting event to my dear husband and he agreed to accompany me on the journey to Macon for the sale. I'm not sure what he expected to see when we got to the book sale. Well, that's not true. Actually, I have a pretty good idea. He was picturing a small book store that was selling used books which is far from what the Macon Friends of the Library book sale is. So he was pleasantly surprised and has even commented that he plans to tell several friends down here about the booksale.

I suspect we will have a caravan of people traveling to Macon next year for this sale! Wow! Anyway...back to this years sale. Josh and I ended up with about 20-25 books from the sale and spent a little over $30. Yay! He commented last night that our purchases would have easily cost over two hundred dollars if we'd gotten them retail.

Here's a basic idea of what we procured:

2 Books for my niece: A Nancy Drew Mystery & A Helen Keller Book

Then we also gathered up: Three cook books

Three teaching aids for essay prompts, writing direction, etc.

A Theatrical Direction book

A Statistics book

A Travel book on Paris

And 19 Fiction Books

So as you can tell we got quite a steal and had a wonderful time in the process. I can hardly wait for next year's sale. I so love unique events like this one.


After spending a little over 2 hours perusing books and procuring our purchases, we headed out to eat. We could have visited a truly Macon type restaurant, but instead we opted for Chili's, my favorite!! It was wonderful! I so wish Moultrie had one, but I'm also thankful they don't because then it wouldn't be as special to me.

After eating, we took the back roads to Sam's Warehouse, one of Josh's favorite stores. I have to admit the store helps out a lot, IF you buy the right things in bulk. We purchased 90 cap sules of dish detergent combined with dawn (the same type I usually get from Walmart in a smaller quantity for 12 dollars. The Dogs got more rawhides, and we picked up some compact laundry detergent. I only wish I'd had my grocery list. We could have gotten rice and a few other staples that we are running low on. After all buying those in bulk, just makes more sense.

Finally, we headed over to Best Buy, my husband's other favorite store. He picked up a few purchases there too. Then we headed home.

All in all, we had a wonderful day. I truly enjoyed the together time with him and we bot h got to visit places we don't normally get to see, i.e. Best Buy and Chili's as well as the booksale.
I'm currently toying with the idea of trying to engage him in driving up for the Cherry Blossom Festival, but I don't know about that yet...however, in the meantime...I know we'll both all the fun we have and we definitely have plenty of reading to keep us entertained for a quite a while...Join us next time, won't you?

No comments: