Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Another one bites the dust!



The weather down here continues to be quite strange. Can we say, rain, rain and more rain?

I do believe that every time things begin to start drying out that we get another storm. Perhaps the plan for this year is to see how much rain we can have before the rivers all overflow.

Today was no exception to our new weather pattern. We had two very massive storm cells pass through our little town during mid-day and from what I've heard they may have done some damage. We even actually had to carry out tornado procedures at the school where I teach.

Since the so called "drill" occurred during lunch time, the students were also aware to the fact that we were not actually performing a drill. I really wish they'd been honest with the students about this, because it made them more nervous when they didn't know whether or not it was drill, than they did once they were aware that it wasn't. Thankfully, nothing at the school was damaged.

Another bit of very exciting news today also occurred during school. The police investigator let me know, during second period, that they had a video of the criminal using my debit card. Thankfully, I had an inclusion teacher in my room with me when the police decided to notify me, of this fact, so I was able to go and view the video. After some searching of my memory banks, I did recognize the criminal in the video.

The front office was quite helpful in printing out photos of this particular person. Unfortunately, the individual in question was a former student of mine; however, I am very thankful that it is not a current student. Talk about a sticky situation, that definitely would be one.

So I'm not sure what happens next, except I assume that the criminal will be arrested and that I'll have an opportunity to press charges as will the bank for fraud and theft by taking. I have very little knowledge of where the process goes after that, but my dear husband and I do have our money back since we were not liable for this criminal's charges on my debit card.

Honestly, dealing with the theft was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Of course it helped that not only was the police officer a personal friend, but so was the individual that I dealt with at our bank. This is not an experience that I'd like to repeat, but I do feel much more armed with knowledge as to our rights concerning debit cards and credit cards should my husband or I ever have one stolen again.

Also, I now have a new location for my purse. When the card was stolen my purse had been spending its days in what was supposed to be a locked office inside a desk drawer. Now, I have a new secure location and procured a new key for this location just today. I'm excited to have this new level of security. So there should be no more thefts in our near future, or hopefully ever!

Lastly, totally changing subjects let me tell you about my new produce supplier: the library! Yes, you read correctly. And as many of you know when I lived in the country I could count on my ditch, in the front of my yard, to catch falling produce from the trucks that were transporting it by my house. I lived on a curve so many trucks would lose cabbages, squash and other vegetables as they drove by. The loss of this produce ditch is one of the many things I've missed about the country lifestyle.

So as luck would have it, yesterday afternoon as I wandered into the library to print out a student's progress report, I noticed there were two large cabbages sitting by a computer in a grocery bag. I inquired to the librarian to see if these were her cabbages or if she had any idea who they may belong to. Not only were they not hers, but she then insisted that I take them with me. She said they couldn't stay in the library over night and that she had no idea who they belonged to. So yes, my friends, the library has become my new produce market. I so wonder when our agriculture students pick their next harvest what delightful produce they will leave for me.

I have no doubt, whatever they leave will easily provide more than enough to share. So please join me in the library/produce mart. Won’t you?

2 comments:

momma said...

Betty, I spent half an hour catching up on your blog last night. You are such a talented writer. I truly enjoyed it. I feel somuch a part of you rlife when I read the events of the day. Keep writing my dear. Love, Momma

Betty Briones said...

Momma,

Thank you! I do so enjoy writing about all of our little adventures down here, and I'm happy that you're enjoying reading about them. I'll definitely keep on writing about our adventures and I look forward to hearing more about your reactions as they occur. I love you!

Betty