Thursday, October 3, 2013

Losing my brain at the DMV.

Today has been a day from start almost through finish. Very, very early this morning at 1:41 to be exact I awakened because my allergies have been acting up. I'm very, very, very allergic to smoke and my dearly, beloved father in law and mother in law smoke like chimney so helping to care for them while being something that I am truly enjoying doing has had many bumps along the way for my health. Last night was just another one of those bumps. I took some nasal spray and then laid awake for two hours before finally managing to fall back into a sleep induced stupor.

So daybreak happened much earlier than I would have preferred this morning. Then as I ran through my morning routine I realized. The allergy medicine that I would have sworn to you was 24 hour medicine was actually 24 pills of 12 hour medicine. Oops! That certainly explains why I've been awaking with breathing issues so much lately. Thankfully, this was an easy problem to fix and I happily went on my way.

Then at some point of the morning it dawned on me, I needed to go get my driver's license renewed because it expires this coming Monday. So....I began to make preparations for that.

Ah, the DMV. I'm sure I've begun to think of it as this world's torture center. Both my daughters and I spent two interesting hours there. They watched three Curious George Episodes on my iphone. They played with their princess figures. They colored. They cried, and cuddled and I think we all wanted to scream and run away when my number was finally called. Amazing! I do believe I thought the heavens were going to open and the halliulah chorus sound. And then perhaps angels would break into Ava Marie since I had all of the proper documentation to renew my license. With all the new requirements this was no small feat. I had to take my current license, social security card, passport, tax return,  & property tax bill. Ummm...all just to prove I am me.

But I did it! And I got my picture made. The girls looked it. The representative was really friendly to my girls. And it was a great picture. I was ecstatic until she asked me if I'd like a 5 year license for 30 or a 10 year for 50. Uh oh!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd forgotten my cash and debit card at home. No worries, she says. They take credit cards, American Express, Visa, Mastercard, etc...blood of your first born child. But I wasn't quite ready to sacrifice Ella Rose. I try not to use credit cards so I don't carry them. So I decided I'd also left my brain at home. Who spends back to back days at the DMV as a customer? Yep, only me y'all. Two hours, two exhausted children, I'm mind numbingly frustrated and ready to cry. And we were starving because it took so LONG! But it must have been worth it, even though we did it for nothing. Practice run? I think so, because guess where we are going tomorrow...that's right. Another fun filled fieldtrip to the DMV. Join us! You too can participate in the extremely grueling and tedious job of renewing your license. It's fun, really...join me and see. Just bring half the paperwork in your house and you too can have a GA drivers license renewed too. After all everyone needs to get in on the fun and torture of the DMV....just make sure to arrive early so you'll get one of those nice plastic chairs.

And if you need me tomorrow and can't find me, you know where to look...at the DMV tomorrow...at the DMV! Sigh.

Good night,
Boop doop de doop

 

2 comments:

Aleta said...

I sure hope tomorrow is a quick visit! I was able to renew mine through the mail oddly and happily enough.

Betty Briones said...

Thank you. It only took about an hour this morning and the DMV wasn't nearly as full. I certainly wish I could have renewed by mail, my husband did the last time he renewed his...but all in all today's visit wasn't that bad. Thanks for asking. :)