Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My Political Perspective

I've debated with myself for the past few days over whether or not to write anything about my political perspective on the world in which we live. Please understand, I LOOOOOVVVVEEE politics. I don't even mind when people disagree with me politically, but what I do mind is how divisive our world is. I truly despise how filled with hate, and how selfish and uncaring people behave. I know that a large portion of this hatred and selfishness comes from fear and lack of knowledge, but nonetheless it saddens me.

 What's more it bothers me that some people I consider family, and close friends are  so closed minded and frightened of the idea of a national health care plan. And to be honest, I do understand where they are coming from. Growing up, I remember a couple that emigrated to the United States from Scotland because they needed medical care. I was just a small child, and I know their names were Mr and Mrs Edwards. Do I remember what care Mrs. Edwards needed? No. I do not. But what I do remember is that Scotland had a nationally (Socialized) run medical program and that there was an extremely long waiting list for the care she needed. So rather than wait, Mr and Mrs Edwards came to the United States to get faster health care. I assume it was better care, but I can't swear to that.

And I'll admit when I first heard about National Medical Care in the United States these were the first thoughts that appeared within my head. So I get the other side, I truly do. BUT, and this is a major but then I began to explore it further. And through the twists, turns, experiences, and discussions within my immediate family (and almost immediate family) my opinion of  the Affordable Care Act began to change.
First off, I have a nephew who was born with hydrocephalus. For those of you who don't know what this is, it's literally water on the brain. I've included a picture of a child with hydrocephalus that hasn't been treated so that you can get a more clear picture of what I'm describing.

 So, all people have some fluid around their brains, but the body regulates how much fluid is made and cushions the brain. For my nephew this isn't true. His body just continues to make more and more fluid and his skull would not have fuzed together properly without brain surgery and a shunt being inserted. The shunt drains the extra fluid from his brain into his abdomen. As I'm sure you can imagine this surgery, literally brain surgery, is very dangerous, but also very expensive! Combine that with the fact that this nephew was a mere two pounds and some odd ounces when he was born there is no doubt he would have maxed out any lifetime cap that insurance companies placed on care within his lifetime. See he won't just need brain surgery once, but possibly every seven years or so. He's seven now (soon to be 8) and so far has just had to have one surgery, but we all (in our family) know there will be another one in his future and more than likely another one after that etc...

I've also included a picture, on the right, of my nephew so you can compare the difference that this surgery makes and how impossible it is to tell someone has hydrocephalus when it's treated properly.

 Danny, looks like and functions as a normal little boy because of this life changing surgery.  However, once he hits the lifetime maximum on insurance getting the second or third or fourth necessary brain surgery would be almost impossible. However, the Affordable Care Act removes that cap. And my nephew can have as many brain surgeries as he needs to live a happy, productive and normal life. So that was the first thing that began to change my perspective on the Affordable Care Act.

And if that wasn't enough then there's my sister. God bless my sister! She's one of the most caring, most giving people I know. Any time she sees a person in need, she gives! Even to her own detriment she will give to others. But my generous sister has had some major health problems within her lifetime. She had a tubal seven years ago that went wrong. The doctor tore her uterus and then tried to fix it and tore it again. He claimed it was paper thin and that he couldn't tell she'd borne four children. But she had! Anyway, because of his negligence major scar tissue developed and wrapped itself around many organs within her. She began having blood cysts and endometriosis and extreme pain. She went to the doctor and the E.R. repeatedly telling them she hurt as if she was in labor for days. They gave her mild pain meds and sent her on her way. They'd discuss with her the options but almost no surgeons were willing to operate to remove the scar tissue present. Why? She had no insurance. She had a disc bulge in her back and had very little care because she had no insurance...and I could go on and on with her medical plights. My family discovered during her healthcare adventures that the only healthcare hospitals had to or doctors were willing to provide was for imminent  life saving procedures. Quality of life for those without insurance didn't matter.

And then, I became a stay at home Mom. Until I decided to stay at home with my girls my husband, girls and I had wonderful insurance through the school system. But after that the shock of how messed up our status quo healthcare system was truly hit home. First, I had a very difficult time finding insurance that would cover me, even with exclusion provisions. I had, had two back surgeries and two C-sections in the last five years. All 4 of these surgeries were necessary. The back surgeries because I had a massive rupture of my L4-L5 disc twice. The rupture was so massive that I truly have no disc left at that level. The C-sections were due to severe pre-eclampsia that didn't manifest itself until I was in the midst of labor (both times). Oh and I'm asthmatic....so it was almost impossible to find coverage for my family that included me since I was no longer employed.

My husband spoke to his employer about providing insurance but was told it wasn't necessary because all the other employees had it through their spouses' jobs. So we had to search for insurance on our own. Then, we found a company that would approve us for coverage with the exclusion of any C-sections for me. So obviously I couldn't get pregnant, but no biggie. I didn't plan to anyway.

All was good until my daughters caught the flu. When we went to get prescriptions for their flu I was shocked. Total cost for their prescriptions for Theraflu for my two girls and anti-nausea medicine was $500!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, you read that correctly. No this didn't include the cost for the Dr's visit. It was medicine alone supposedly with insurance.

Needless to say I began to wonder shortly there after how in the world my family would manage if anyone caught even the slightest cold after that. And decided drastic action had to be taken. I'd been totally against the idea of applying for Peach care for my children before the $500 prescriptions, but after that it became my main goal in life. And it just about took an act of Congress to get it for them, but we did it. So I now no longer have to worry about their medical insurance.

But my dear husband and I still had the lousy health insurance that we were paying out $240 a month for just the two of us and wasn't covering almost anything...and I do mean anything We simply couldn't continue to pay for that. We couldn't afford it! But I didn't want to be uninsured so I called companies and told them I only wanted major medical, like serious problem type insurance. I was told what I was looking for didn't exist. I truly wanted hospital coverage so that if my back had problems again or something to that effect we'd not be out tens of thousands of dollars. So we took a leap.

I cancelled our insurance and we became one of the millions of uninsured. Thankfully, knock on wood we've managed. Neither of us have had any major illnesses. A common cold here and there...but nothing major. And we've held on or at least I've held on to the hope that Obamacare would be the answer. We will be able to afford insurance. What a blessed day! Not only will be able to afford insurance, but good quality insurance. Does that please me? Yes...immensely.

Now let me make this footnote because I know someone may comment, well if it was that important to you then you could have just kept your job and not become a stay at home Mom. Honestly, no I couldn't. I call it my choice and it's true, I quit...

However, it was inevitable. The school where I worked had issues with my focus on my family. They couldn't understand why I'd travel to Arkansas to be with my dying Nanny and with my youngest daughters need to nurse and the arrangements to do so which in no way affected my job performance. However, the administration saw it as an all or nothing matter so I quit and made it official that my family was first in my life.

 
Do I regret that decision? No, I do not, not in the least!. I simply regret that our society has become so work focused that they couldn't realize that family has to be a top priority too. And I would resign again tomorrow, even knowing the things that I now know.  I'd do it again a million times. Being at home and truly putting my family first was one of the best decisions I've ever made. But I'm sure I've upset some people with my perspective and for that I apologize. However, I hope that I've made those same individuals think and consider who this Obamacare is going to help. We, the individuals who need the Affordable Care Act are not (in the majority) people trying to mooch off the system.  They are people who can't get or can't afford the healthcare they should receive in the status quo. As a friend of mine commented yesterday:

"Hands are a powerful thing. While I have one in a fist of smiting rage at our horrible Congress, the other is wiping away tears of joy and gratitude because I am amazed that I will have health insurance. Love it or hate it, there are lots of us good, tax-paying folks that have dreamed of this day so that we can finally get treatment on, say, an arm that dislocates every day. No matter how you feel about what's going on and the shenanigans of our government, I hope we the people can hug it out, make each other laugh, and get through it...hand in hand."

 I couldn't agree more with her if I tried so that my dear reader is my hope as well. So with that in mind, I leave you for the day...and I promise a less controversial blog tomorrow.

Until then,
Boop Doop De Doop

 

2 comments:

Not Hannah said...

I adore this. Thank you for sharing!

Betty Briones said...

Thank you. I enjoyed writing it and as I'm sure you can tell am very passionate about it.