Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Dog's Journey and pet blessings

Today, we attended the blessing of animals at St. Margaret's. We celebrate it every year on the first Saturday because we are celebrating St. Francis of Assissi. I can't tell you how many pet blessings I've been to I my life, but they are numerous and usually meaningful. Today was no exception.

The girls wanted to take our dog, Daisy, and so we did. She was very well behaved and I was glad we took her. She was definitely not the only dog there. There was a Siberian Husky, a Weimaraner and many small dogs. But the one that true touched part of my soul was a baby terrier that the Humane Society had brought to be blessed. She had German Shepherd markings and was small but oh so good. I fell in love!!!

How I wanted to take her home, but alas my husband says no. It's too soon, he says. And perhaps he's right. Although I can tell you decades could pass before the hole that Rachel left in our lives will be filled. Oh, this puppy reminded me so much of her or at least of how she looked when she first came to us. She was just six weeks old then and someone had dumped her out in the country. She'd found her way to my door and the rest was history. Rachel lived with us for 6 years. She was my first dog to raise from a puppy and she was definitely family.

So as I looked at that puppy who responded differently to me than it did to others, I couldn't help but wonder was it Rachel who had returned to us as another dog.

I know that may seem silly to some, but to me it makes sense and I got this idea from a book called: "A Dog's Journey."

If you haven't read the book I highly recommend it. It's written from the perspective of a dog and is about the bond a dog and person have. It's amazing.

Anyway, the puppy didn't come home with us today. I'm praying she gets adopted and will probably check on her to make sure she does. Even if I can't bring her home there's no reason she needs to stay at the pound. And who knows perhaps my husband will change his mind and decide she can come and live with us too. 

But even if he doesn't it gives me peace to know she has been blessed and encourages me to try to find her forever home for her. 

So if any of you are looking for a puppy give the Moultrie Humane Society a call and ask I see her. I just know you won't regret it.

Boop droop de doop

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved reading your blog today - thank you! :)