Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!

Wow! It's hard to believe that 2007 is drawing to an end. When I think about the fact that we're almost a decade into the 21st Century it's hard to fathom. I remember sitting in a classroom during 3rd grade being asked to make predictions about what life would be like 20 years in the future.

And yes, that particular year has come and gone with very few of my predictions occurring. I was convinced that cars would be programmable. We'd just get in, tell the car where we wanted to go and it would take us there while we conversed with family or friends, slept or did whatever. Needless to say my predictions were way off....then again...maybe not so much. Maybe they were simply ahead of their time.

We now have cars that will contact the EMS for you, guide you when you are lost, make phone calls to whomever you desire....and yet we don't have self driving cars, but perhaps that is a good thing. After all, we have televisions that record themselves. Games for children that require no physical activity and so many other technological things that take our focus away from what we really need to be doing. The last thing we truly need is another item to "make our lives easier." So programmable self-drivable cars are something that I hope we shall never see.

With that said, this next year is going to be an amazing one! Our baby is steadily growing and will join us in 7 1/2 short months! She/he is now the size of a blueberry and is growing over 100 cells a minute in her/his brain!!!WOW! It's hard to imagine that this little one has grown this large already from two small cells.
Josh and I are going to travel and spend time getting just enjoying each other before our family grows. I'm going to try to become more involved in the church and the community and we are going to finish our house!

My dreams for the new year are to spend more time with my family and friends. Less time spent on technological items...sometimes I believe I'm fairly anti-modern technology for technology's sake. This includes many of the items associated with our upcoming child. Would you believe I'm considering making all of the baby's "food" even after the baby is eating things other than breast milk? And I'm contemplating using cloth diapers!? What can I say...I just want to make sure we have the best for our little one and I'm not convinced the best is necessarily the most advance technologically nor the most expensive.

So with that ramble made....here are my dreams and resolutions for 2008.

1) To read with my husband at least 3 times a week

2) To have a family night or date night each week that we turn off the TV and do things like those we so enjoyed while we were dating. I had no cable at my house so we talked and spent quality time together rather than vegging out.

3) To save adequately so that I can take 6-8 weeks off with our little one without it costing us too much in the long run.

4) To take a special trip with my husband, to take a special trip with my niece and Momma, and to spend some quality time with my Nanny Netta before our little bundle changes our world.

5) To make the time to work on my Children's books the Michael Edwin ones...so that we can read to our little ones from books that his/her Momma wrote.

I wish you all a wonderful and blessed New Year! And I also hope that you will find the time to be introspective about what desires and dreams that you have for the new year. Happy New Year!

No comments: