Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Storks, buzzards and lemons


This last Thursday, my dear husband I got some of the most exciting news of our lives. I took a pregnancy test and got a positive result. So it appears that the stork will be paying us a visit mid-August. We are so excited and can hardly wait! I do believe that my wonderful husband has been telling people as quickly as he can...and those he's not told, I have. Everyone is ecstatic.

Now we get to go through the interesting part...pregnancy. I've obviously never experienced anything like this, but I am thankful to discover that a good friend of mine is also going through this too. So it's nice to have a friend to share all the strange moments and adventures of pregnancy with.
I have to admit, I'm looking forward to all of these adventures, well...not morning sickness...but the rest of it. :) Speaking of pregnancy adventures though...I feel like I'm already experiencing some. I don't want to bore you, so I'll hit the highlights only...the main ones being fatigue, I do believe that I could fall asleep anywhere and cravings. . Oddly enough, I can't stand french fries right now (normally a favorite of mine, I usually love anything with potatoes) But maybe I'd still like baked fries, I've not tried that yet and I do know that the grease from the fried ones is repulsive. However, I have a new love....LEMONS!!!! Yes, lemons!!!

This craving is followed by a close second and even more strange one...cottage cheese and Rotel tomatoes mixed together. Yes, I know it sounds strange, but it's really, really good. I had it this afternoon for a snack.

Back to the lemons, tonight as I was preparing some vegetables I got some lemon juice on my hands. WOW! It was amazing...so I promptly began to squeeze the juice out of the lemon and suck on it. Strange as it may sound...it was exactly what I wanted. So when my dear husband and I sat down to eat supper, there on my plate along with my veggies and pasta and bread was half a lemon! :) Yes, I devoured it and my understanding husband just watched me and said, so you are "lemons" huh?

For now I am...who knows what the pregnancy will bring as I go through it though....I suspect more cravings and aversions will come and go and I will do my best to fill you in on them and any other big surprises that this pregnancy brings.

Finally, let me tell you about our afternoon surprise this afternoon in the park. Rachel and Shayne were very excited to arrive at the park because we'd missed out outing yesterday due to time consuming errands. So today when we approached the park we noticed that we'd missed the announcement that a turkey buzzard gathering was taking place, there were over 50 of them present. Most of them flew away, except for one. Rachel had the honors of chasing that buzzard away. I've never seen anything like it and I have to admit that they all made me quite nervous. They were circling and circling as we walked around the park. Jogging has ceased for the time being (due to my condition) but we still had a grand time (even if it was unnerving to have to Buzzards circling overhead). After making a couple rounds throughout the park, we decided to give it back to them...and off we went. I certainly do hope that the buzzard convention turned out to be the grand success it started off as, before we visited.



4 comments:

momma said...

What fun. Annie and I just read your blog. It's so neat to keep up with you this way. We love you, Momma and Annie

Betty Briones said...

I'm so glad that y'all are enjoying it. I definitely am having a blast writing it! I love you both SO much and can hardly wait to spend some time with you this Christmas season!

Ally said...

Congratulations!! What awesome news!! I look forward to following the next nine-ten months:)

p.s. Why can't you run though?

Betty Briones said...

Thanks! We are really excited about the news and can hardly wait for our little one to arrive. :) I look forward to sharing all about it for the next nine months with you too.

To answer why I can't run though...the essence of this is that I've not asked my doctor for permission, but most advice during pregnancy is against running during the first trimester especially and really encourages other forms of exercise for the baby's safety and comfort. One of the worries of course would be falling, if you were running...but during the first trimester the main reason is that when you get hot it draws blood way from the baby. And since the first trimester is the most dangerous one for the baby as well as the one that it's developing the most quickly...I've opted to just stick to walking (quickly sometimes, but walking) and plan to look into other forms of exercise during pregnancy, pilates, yoga, or even the baby and me workouts. :)