Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Summer Safari

Today began our first day of Summer Vacation, and what a day it was. Ella Rose had her preschool program...which Evie Alice fussed her way through. We quickly followed this by getting a flat tire, but we still managed to cram a tremendous amount into our day and I'm determined we aren't going to waste a minute of our summer vacation. Ella Rose is out of school for 12 weeks and I plan to savor each moment of it. So in addition to all the excitement that I mentioned the other day...we are going to have a Summer Safari at-home-camp too. Now this at home camp will be loosely themed and the schedule will be play as we go, but here are the basics that I've outlined so far...each week will have a theme.

When I began to think about this I started digging through other mother's blogs of successful stay-at-home camps and adventures. The most helpful site that I found was one where a mom had successfully created and successfully held summer camps for her children the past two years...and so I swiped a lot of her themes and then combined them with other themes and ideas that I found from other creative mothers to create a mish mash of themes which we will attempt this summer...You can find her page at http://tropichomeandfamily.com Just search for her summer camp ideas.


So with that said the themes for the Summer Safari Camp are:
Week 1: Wildlife explorers
Week 2: Artist/Artisans
Week 3: Trains!
Week 4: Up in the Air!
Week 5: Pirates!
Week 6: Mad Scientists
Week 7: Ocean Wonders
Week 8: Camping/Pioneers
Week 9: Welcome to the Jungle
Week 10: World Travelers
Week 11: Out on the Ranch
Week 12: Water Week

I've also assigned jobs to each day.
Mondays are Park/Pool days.
Tuesdays are Library/Craft days
Wednesdays are Trip days  
Thursdays are Cooking days
Fridays are Pool/Education
 
 
Then as far as a daily schedule goes we are going to play it by ear...BUT I want to fit certain things into each day include nap time (2 hours), a story time, and a themed snack. Then a few times a week, I want do a craft/science experiment, handwriting/ math or language skill each day. Other than that, my goal is to have the girls outside at least 4 hours each day.
 
They'll easily play all afternoon outside if I let them so this shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I'll try to update each week with pictures and descriptions of how the week went.

Welcome Summer, these Game Rangers are going to have many wonderful Sundowners!

Boop doop de doop!
 

No comments: