Saturday, May 4, 2013

Lovely, soft, cloud dust filled days. Thank God.

Today made me wonder if I'd inadvertently moved to Ireland on a warm summer day (since their hottest days are in the 70s). Not only did the temperatures here rival your usual Irish summer weather (low sixties) but the softing (rain) also modelled the Irish experience exactly. So I found myself ," thinking back to my Irish Summers of days gone by. How I loved my summers there and listening to people say, " 'tis a lovely soft day, thank God," as they carried own with their every day lives in the softing rain.

 Rain didn't stop or slow down lives there...it wasn't an inconvenience. It was a blessing. Whenever I'm out and out in the "softing" I often think of my adventures in Ireland. And today was no exception.

   So the softing rain today and the cool temperatures as of late have made me wonder on more than one occasion whether we've moved to Ireland, and are simply unaware. Seriously though,  the weather has been quite wacky as of late...and living in south Georgi mid-sixties are regular occurrences in mid-February...but rarely seen in early May. Usually, we are hitting the mid to upper 80s and preparing our bodies for many days of 100+ weather during the summer. This year, that preparation seems absent...no today could be a nice February way or even a warmer March day...but definitely does not feel very May-like.

So I decided that since we've moved into Ireland's climate whether or not we've actually moved that the girls and I would have an Irish adventure today. We would walk to the neighborhood market and pick up some ingredients for supper tonight. So we set out on a very Irish-like adventure with the girls loaded into their double stroller we began to walk to the store. Another of the things I loved about Ireland was being able to walk every place in town we wanted to go. My little sister and I had a regular path worn between our flat and the grocery store. The refrigerator for the family was similar in size to a large dorm frig and so we had to make multiple trips by foot to the store each week. Those trips were fun...and honestly, just finding the grocery store was an adventure since it was situated back in a mall on the lower level.

Of course today, there was no search for the store. We simply had to head up the street hang a right at the light, walk past our church and the neighborhood store would be one block ahead. So off we went. Now, unlike our trips to the "grocery" in Ireland when we were visiting a truly Irish supermarket...in this case our neighborhood market carries only the very basics.  Usually, I frequent it only when I realize at the the last minute that I'm out of a crucial ingredient. But today, although I needed a few ingredients for a squash casserole and some baking soda to make blueberry muffins I really just wanted to get out of the house, exercise, and spend some time with my girls.

 And so off we went. We walked in the softing rain, neither girl seems to care and nor did I. In short, we had a blast. I found myself noticing details I'd missed out on as I'd sped by them in my car. I'd not noticed our church sign  listed the family service. I'd missed sharing how to suck the honey suckles properly with my daughter. Of course, our walk remedied both of these problems. Ella Rose was amazed by how sweet the honey suckle tasted. And I found myself thinking back to memories of my own Momma teaching me the very same things.

And continuing in the line of creating memories, I decided it was time to create some cloud dust (mixing flour and canola oil) in order make play sand for the front porch. The girls had fun building sand castles with it on our covered porch despite the softing rain...and our dear Daisy dog jumped the fence repeatedly just so she could join in on the fun.

Days like this make the cooler weather not seem so bad...after all those Lovely soft days gone by contain so many fond memories....So summer weather even though I long for you...I'm appreciative for these memory filled moments of cool early spring like soft days with jumping daisies, clouds on the front porch, and softing rain falling while my girls and I explore the wonders of childhood all over again.
 

No comments: