Thursday, March 6, 2008

Game Night!


Tuesday night began a new chapter in our lives. It was our first Date Night!!

I have to admit I was very excited about the new adventure that we were embarking upon. Probably a lot of my excitement stemmed from the fact, as much as I hate to admit it, we'd more than settled into a boring routine, before we began this new adventure of date nights! Let's say it together now... Date nights! WOO HOO!!

Honestly, I probably threw my dear husband for a loop when I suggested that we try out, picking a night a week and dating. However, I have to admit his first attempt at coming up with activities for this first date night was wonderful!! Not only did we have an absolute blast, but the plans he made fit perfectly well into our situation for Tuesday night.

What situation? Well....our poor yellow lab, Shayne, was sick!! Sick is a major understatement. So let me explain. When Josh got home, that evening, he was the first one to realize Shayne wasn't feeling up to par.

Talk about feeling like a horrible mother! I cannot believe I didn't notice he was feeling so sickly, but I didn't. After all, he'd played at the park and so I'd paid him very little attention since we'd returned to our house. Instead, I was rushing around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to create a new recipe for supper. We were going to have wilted cabbage and bratwurst. (Well, I was having veggie bratwurst, but I'd gotten my husband real meat).

Supper was almost prepared when Josh arrived home. Shayne was sitting on the far side of the living room. The fact that he didn't get up to greet Josh clued him in immediately that something was really, really wrong with Shayne.

And boy was he right! Not only did Shayne refuse to greet his Daddy, he didn't want supper either. And then he had problems lying down. Poor guy!

Shortly there after, it began to become even more obvious just how sick he was! Then six long hours and a vet's visit later, we had a temporary diagnosis of pneumonia and a stomach virus.

As it turns out the temporary diagnosis was absolutely correct. Shayne does have pneumonia! So Shayne ended up spending two nights with our friendly veterinarian, and going through many medical tests, but is now doing MUCH better. His fever is down...he's able to eat and drink, and he's got more energy. So all in all, Shayne is on the mend!

And best of all, we didn't have to leave his side, until he went into the hospital, even though we were having “date night.”

Josh had been quite secretive about his plans for Tuesday night, so I was really worried that we were going to have to cancel them before we even got started. Don't get me wrong, we both would have cancelled date night in a heartbeat, so that we could stay with Shayne. And no, neither of us would have regretted doing so at all. After all, our four legged son needed us.


Thankfully, though, Josh's convert plans didn't involve leaving the house. Instead, he gathered togther many of our games for two people, and we spent an enjoyable evening playing Yahtzee, Scrabble and the 80's version of Trivial Pursuit.

Josh won both the Scrabble and the Trivial Pursuit games. As far as the Trivial Pursuit game goes, I have to admit, I know *very little* about the eighties. I was just too young to remember much, but I did get the "My Little Pony" question right! And I easily won the Yahtzee game!

It was SO much fun, and we definitely talked more than we would have if we'd been vegging out in front of computer or television! As I heard my dear husband say last night, with the game night the conversations just came naturally.

The most exciting part is that we have another date night coming up this next week. We've decided to pick one night a week, for just the two of us. No work calls, no interruptions and we want to try to do things like those that we need when we were dating each other. If we enjoy this next week's date night half as much as this weeks...I have no doubt date night's are going to be our favorite night of each week.

I'm hopeful that I get to pick our activities for date night this coming week. We've talked about alternating who plans it, and I've got a long list of ideas, but regardless of where the plans come from my favorite part of date night is simply spending quality time with my husband. After all, he's the love of my life and I couldn't ask for a better one.

So check back soon! Or as they say in Uncle Wiggly's Adventures: "And if the canary bird doesn't take my lead pencil and stick it in his seed dish I'll tell you in the following” post.






No comments: