Saturday, March 23, 2013

Weightloss and late night discussions

Late in December or early in January I embarked upon a new goal, I decided that I was going to lose a substancial amount of weight this year. Now, I know many people make weight loss resolutions each January, and many do not follow through, but I was determined to be different. One of the ways I'm different is that this honestly was my first weight loss journey. I'd never dieted. Yes, I'd lost and gained weight over the years but never consciously set out to do so. The other difference was the support of four wonderful ladies. Three of these ladies I'd never laid eyes upon or even heard of before the journey began, the fourth was Ella Rose's teacher last year in preschool. Together, we've journeyed together through weight loss for 10 weeks...and weighed in weekly. And now, after ten weeks we've lost 124.5 lbs cumulatively.

So tonight my husband was teasing me as he said something about my forcing him to sit through yet another episode of The Biggest Loser...and that's why we ended up watching his TIVOed show Revolution. Let me tell ya...I loved the first episode of Revolution, and it reminded me of a book I'd recently read. I only wish I could remember the title of that book. But that's another story for another day. The premise of his show was that the electricity goes out...and doesn't come back on...and then the show fast forwards 15 years. It really makes you think.

When I was in college I will never forget sitting around in a philosophical discussion of reality and a visitor commenting on how humans are the only species that has created something that will destroy them. Something to think about, huh? Technology which is supposed to make our lives so much easier...may make them harder. But it definitely would make our lives much harder if those of us so used to it truely didn't have *any* of it anymore. No, I'm not talking about rejecting it just like the Amish do, but truly having no technology. It would destroy us...or make like much harder.

Anyway...so my mind wandered through all of this as we watched the show. Then as the show ended my husband called me "his biggest loser" and asked whether I'd lost the most on my team. I'd not. One of the other ladies who was relatively the same size I began at lost 16  more pounds than I did...making her current weight loss 37 lbs.

So his next question was, "Does she have children?" Which she does. And I told him she has more children than I do and manages a full time job outside the home.

But what really made me beam was when he said, "You do know being a stay at home mom is a harder job than any in the workforce, right?" WOW!! I was amazed that he recognized this. Nonetheless...it's true. I love it, but it's true.  And I can honestly say that made my night.

And so now...with my kitchen clean, my children and husband sleeping...I thought I'd take a minute to share that morsel with you. And I know I will go to sleep tonight dreaming pleasant dreams with the knowledge that my husband truly does know how hard I work each and every day.

Good night y'all!

Boop doop de doop

No comments: