Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Recovering from Surgery


Hi all-

Well the impossible has occured, or should I say a miracle has happened. :) I am officially fixed. When I awakened from surgery this last Thursday, May 15th I was no longer in pain. I can hardly believe it myself. After three months of severe agony it's gone. I'm no longer on pain killers, or muscle relaxants. I don't need a heating pad etc... and my hips are finally level again. I do believe they were going on being six inches different before the sugery. Thankfully, I'm fixed.

The surgeon, Dr. Paul Jeffords, told my parents and husband that there is very little disc still available at the level where I had the rupture since I've had two such massive ruptures there. He said that things would go either very well or very poorly. Thankfully, they are going spectacularly well!! And honestly it's like a new lease on life!! I'm loving it.

The first few days after surgery were rather quiet. It was an outpatient surgery so I was back at my parent's house by that afternoon. However, starting on Sunday things began to speed up. I had decided that I'd sat around long enough and so I got up and went to breakfast at church. Then church, then a reception, then took a walk, watched my niece jump on the trampoline and went to a Spring Musical Festival that Annie and Gabe (my niece and nephew) were singing in.

Yesterday, was another new day. Everyone around here headed off to school or work except for me and it was rather quiet during the day. I have to admit I'm certainly not used to that, even though I normally live so far from here, I do try to stay fairly busy. And I'm having a hard time imagining what this summer is going to be like. It's the first summer that I've not worked since well...since I graduated from high school. Can you believe that? Wow!!

However, I'm certain I'll find plenty to keep myself busy. Just like I am doing up here. For instance yesterday after everyone got home, we had an early supper and then Momma, Ellen and I headed out with Annie to her softball game. She won 17-7. Go Annie!!! She'll play again tomorrow on Ellen's b-day. It's hard to believe how quickly time passes now. Even harder to believe that I'm over 30 and Ellen is steadily heading that way. In fact, since Ellen traveled from her own apartment last night to the game she didn't even recognize me for a minute. She thought I was just another Mom watching her child during the game. It must have been the sunglasses, because surely I don't look that old. Just kidding! If my baby sister's little girl is old enough to be in that game, I'm definitely old enough to have a child doing the same...even though I don't.

Today and tonight bring more excitement. Annie has honors day at her school around lunch time and Daddy (Paw as the little ones call him) and I will be attending the program. Then this evening we are planning a picnic in the park right across the street from Gabe's pre-school. After all, he has preschool graduation tonight. Wow! How did he grow up so quickly?
Tomorrow, will of course be another busy evening, but probably a fairly quiet day. It's Ellen's b-day and I have to find something to give her. Then Annie and Gabe want to go to choir practice and Annie has another softball game. Ah the pace of life. Who knows what the rest of the week or weekend will bring.

Of course I do know that once I get back to Moultrie that life will continue at an interesting pace. I've got an AP certification workshop to attend this summer. My dear husband will be going to a technology conference in Vegas and Annie, Josh and I will be visiting France before all is said and done.
So as you can tell...life has begun to resume it's normal pace. And I do believe I'll be able to handler the slightly slower style of summer. I'll read a lot, go out for lunch a few times and try my best to make some wonderful memories.

And who knows, perhaps before the summer is over if we hold our mouths just right...and cross our fingers my dear husband and I may be expecting a baby...one that I'll carry longer than 10 weeks....or at least that's my dream for now.

I hope that as the school year winds up for you all that your pace of life also changes. And that you can enjoy summer just as much as I know my family and I will.

No comments: