Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Running with dogs





You know I never really thought that married life would change me all that much. Motherhood? I absolutely expect that it will...but married life? Not so much. However, it has. When I look back even the few short months that I've been married I see many changes in my routine. Let me see if I can explain....

This time last year...as a single person I could probably be pulling into the drive way of my country home...looking for my dogs...scrounging...maybe going for a walk...picking grapes, looking for food...or who knows what...but these days my schedule is much more predictable.

And as such...I've found that the routine is actually kind of comforting. Each afternoon, after arriving home...begin preparations for supper, start a load of laundry...straighten up the living room or other areas of the house and begin to prepare to take the dogs to our makeshift park. I call it makeshift, because it's not technically a park...it's an abandoned lot where the old hospital used to sit. But it has a make shift track (probably the old drive way around the hospital) and a crumbly parking lot...but it works for Rachel and Shayne and me. It's our park and we LOVE our time there.

Shayne's favorite activity of the day is playing ball...and so for 15 or 20 minutes each evening...I stand throwing Shayne his ball...he catches it...or chases it...brings it back and again we repeat the cycle.
Rachel loves the park because it reminds her of our country environment (the one she grew up in). So she chases squirrels....smells for bugs and dashes through the woods. She's even found an old drainage ditch to go swimming in. And each evening after Shayne and I finish playing ball we walk around the park with Rachel. Oh and lest I forget it...the most savored activity that the park provides are the HUGE mud puddles. For several days after it rains there are almost pond size (not in depth but in breath) mud puddles to splash in and lie down in. So Rachel and Shayne look forward to those too.

However, today I decided to put a new spin into our daily routine. I added jogging. I've gained quite a bit of weight since I started dating my dear husband and would like to lose a bit of it before I become pregnant (or gain weight from pregnancy). So...I experimented today and told the puppies that today we were going to run all the way around the park a couple of times before beginning any of the other activities. They LOVED IT! Around and around we ran....Rachel sprinting...Shayne lopping and me slowly trudging along. And I have to admit...watching my babies prance and smile as we jogged together gave it a whole new element.


And thinking about that I realized...that I'd like to continue this tradition when I have children...dogs and all....I can just see myself pushing the baby stroller around *our* park....running with dogs...and bonding as a family....even more closely and creatively than we all envisioned it.

2 comments:

Ally said...

Excellent addition to your routine....jogging is just so much fun, especially with dogs who enjoy it so much.

Betty Briones said...

I certainly agree. Josh didn't join us in the jogging yesterday, but even with him present they were dead set on it...and I'm glad. It's good for us all...perhaps Josh will bring the right shoes today and do so. It can be a family thing. :)