Tuesday, October 1, 2013

National Blog Writing Month

Hi all-

Today, since it's the first day of October, is the first day of National Blog Writing Month. I've attempted this for the last three years and I don't believe I've ever managed to blog every day for the entire month, but I'm rearing to go and super excited about trying again. If you blog, love to write or even are mildly curious in trying to do so I highly suggest that you give it a try. Just put a link to your blog on Facebook at NaBloWriMo. Join us! Won't you?

Now with that said...buckle in and get ready for the ride. I can hardly wait to blog each day for the month! I suppose I could start by telling you why I do NaBloWriMo and a little bit more about my crazy life that I love. Today is actually a quiet day around here...okay semi-quiet. My four year old does have both gymnastics and soccer this afternoon, but other than that the day is much more calm than they've been lately. Since I'm a stay at home much of my days are focused around helping others, be it my in-laws, children, people in the community, etc...and of course running my household.

Lately, it's been a challenge to get it all done each day, but a joyful one. Two weeks ago my father-in-law fell 18feet out of a tree and broke his pelvis. He was airlifted to a larger hospital because his fracture was so severe, but the larger hospital opted not to operate and sent him home after just a few days. So my daughters and I have been visiting with him multiple times a day for the last couple of weeks. Honestly, it's been a blessing to have that time together for all involved. My girls are becoming much closer to their paternal grandparents and the relationship between my mother-in-law, father-in-law and I has changed drastically. As much as I'd never wish this situation upon anyone, good has come from it. It just goes to show sometimes we don't know why life leads us into the moments it does, but there's true purpose in all that happens and good can come out of even the worst circumstances.

I think the other major change in our lives is that although I'm a former high school teacher, I'm embracing my stay at home Mom role a bit more fully this year. Perhaps that's true because it's my second full year at home...but for whatever reason it really makes me question how families with two working parents make sure it all gets done. Okay...so the added money would be nice, BUT it wouldn't be worth the things I'd have to miss out on. Don't get me wrong, I know at some point I will return to working outside the home (maybe when both girls are in school) but until then I'm going to savor our moments together and find creative ways to make funds in the process.

I've started a pet sitting service and actually am heading out to distribute more information about it today. I have a regular customer that the girls and I visit with her dogs every day and it's really been a joy to see the puppies smiling faces. I've tried selling my daughters old clothes for consignment, but haven't had much luck. I've made less than $100 dollars doing that. But as I said money isn't everything.

This next week we begin fall break and I'm truly looking forward to our little Stay-cation. Actually, I find myself looking forward to October as I always do. We have so many wonderful things that happen in October. This coming week the girls and I will be traveling to see the Ugly Ducking Light Show at the Grand in Macon. We have a Blessing of Animals at our Church this coming Saturday. My eldest is headed out to a birthday party for her best friend on Saturday and she has soccer pictures on Saturday too. Saturday is going to be BUSY!!!

The next weekend we are going to the GA National Fair, and the weekend after that to ride on Thomas the train at Day out with Thomas. I believe it's our fourth year to go to that too. :) And we have a yard sale at church too! Whew!! Busy, busy but just how I love it.

We will probably throw in some play dates, visits to museums and the bouncy houses, etc...in the mix and just enjoy our life here at home.

Yes, the beginning of October always lifts my spirits y'all. Perhaps, it's the realization it's really fall. And this  year the air is a little bit more crisp (something that is unusual this early in the fall in South GA). Perhaps it's the apple picking, or the pumpkin patches popping up everywhere. Maybe it's because my birthday falls in this month and reminds me how important it is to celebrate each day and year of my life.


Whatever it is, not even the shut down of the Government can spoil my mood. Which says a lot since I think it's absurd that our elected officials can't worth together for the good of all. But I won't get on a political soap box on this grand day. So with that said, I hope you all have a blessed day and that you consider joining us as we begin our new adventure into National Blog Writing Month.

I'll talk to you again tomorrow!
Until then, Boop doop de Doop


4 comments:

Aleta said...

Hi :) I'm participating in NabloWriMo as well. I'm a stay at home mom for my 7 month old... well, at least until August of next year. Then my husband wants me back into the work force (if not sooner, to be honest). So I am treasuring each moment while I can!

Betty Briones said...

Were you a school teacher too? My husband definitely goes through spurts of wanting me back into the workplace too. I'm pondering it and have from time to time, but know I'm where I need to be for now. My eldest will be 5 in February and my youngest 3. Where has the time gone!? And I can only imagine how it would have flown if I'd not been at home. But good for you for being home...and I know you are savoring it all. :) It's nice to know we have so much in common and I look forward to reading your blog too.

Gigi Murfitt said...

Betty, I'm also part of the National Blog Month. I've seen it as NaBloWriMo and NaBloPoMo. Whatever it is, I'm up for the challenge. Glad to meet you through this blog challenge.

Betty Briones said...

Gigi, It's nice to meet you too. I look forward to reading your blog as well.