Monday, February 18, 2008

Schizophrenic weather and swimming at the park

This past weekend my Momma came down to visit with my dear husband and me. It was wonderful! We lounged around the house. We explored the boutiques downtown, visited with my husband's parents, and dined out at amazing restaurants. In short, everyone agreed that it was a much needed visit and that we all had a wonderful time, the furry babies (Rachel, Shayne and Abby) included.

However, toward the end of my Momma's visit the nice spring like warm weather decided it was time for a major set of storms. And so, when the wind began to pick up on Sunday afternoon at our local Sunday dinner diner my in-laws, husband, Momma and I decided it was time to head for higher grounds (so to speak) and check the weather channel.

Upon examining the weather channel, we discovered that a major storm front was headed our way. Therefore, we all agreed that it was time for Momma to pack up and head home, pronto unless she planned to batten down the hatches with us until the following day.

After some discussion, she decided that the best thing for her to do was to leave immediately. This was her only way to attempt to beat the approaching storm through Atlanta so that she could safely return home without weather delays.

Yet, as well all know, even the best laid plans of mice and men do sometimes go astray especially when Mother Nature is intervening...and a few short hours after my Momma departed from my house I found myself on the phone with her instructing her to NOT go into Atlanta until the storm had passed.

Thankfully, this worked out well and a little over an hour later she was on the road toward home again...minus the danger of tornadoes passing through Atlanta and it's surrounding locations.

However, by the time that she made it into Atlanta, the storm had begun here. And what a STORM it was!! My dear husband even commented to me that if school had been scheduled for night time rather than the morning, I would have had to swim to school.




And honestly, living where we do (that is beside a LARGE drainage ditch) I often wonder if we shouldn't have a ark or at least a canoe on hand for special flooding moments like last night. I truly wondered if we'd be able to drive to our proper work locations this morning because the rain was literally coming down that quickly.

Thankfully, though, the storm did pass on over leaving only ten tornado warnings for our part of the state. And even with these tornadoes there was little to no damage in our town or in the towns where we work. Even more impressively after such a torrential storm skies were clear by mid-day and the weather remained nice and warm.

So upon arriving home this afternoon, I decided it was time to take the dear puppies to the park! When we got to the park we began our usual game. I was throwing the ball for Shayne. Rachel was bouncing around own her own and checking out all of the glorious sights and smells. Yes, we were having a wonderful time.

And then it got better! After Shayne and I had played ball for a few minutes I indicated to my furry children that it was time to walk around the park a bit...so we began. When we approached the far side of the park I discovered that a particularly deep hole was now filled with water. In fact, the hole was so full that it truly became its own little mini pond.

Rachel and Shayne were beside themselves with excitement upon discovering this new pond. Rachel began jumping up and down literally and body slamming herself into Shayne all in an attempt to get him to play with her in the water. It was wonderful! Shayne bounced and pranced as well. And yes, he bound into the water as well. Before I knew it, I had two bouncing and swimming puppies playing in their own private pond.

They had a blast. We actually ended up staying at the park longer than usual. It was more than worth the extended stay simply to watch my totally soaked little ones having the time of their lives. And you know...even though there's not a cloud in the sky tonight...and even though the temperature has fallen more than 30 degrees since our afternoon outing...I still find myself looking forward to the next torrential downpour that we have.

Why? It's simple. I can't imagine an afternoon filled with more love or fun than to watch my little ones laugh and play in their own private naturally made lake.

No comments: